Wednesday 23 April 2008

X-treme knitting - the kishorn edition

What a totally and utterly fantastic weekend. All I can say is great weather, great hotel, great food, lovely location, and some knitting.

We stayed and ate at the Plockton Inn. Mmmmm - there were at least 3 things for each course that I really really wanted to eat. I had the lighest fluffiest hot smoked salmon pate to start, and then tandoori hake for the main finished off with a fresh raspberry trifle and icecream!

Then a detour to a lovely lovely garden centre just down the road towards Lochcarron. We had a lovely chat to the owner, who has gradually been expanding the area he uses in an old walled garden. It is perfectly sheltered and warm and full of amazing plants. We spent quite a bit of money and our front garden should have some lovely flowers if it all survives.

Then over to Applecross - via the Bealach-na-ba or pass of the cattle, which is a truely mad road that looked stunning with snowy patches all on the top glinting in the sunlight. The london visitors were quite entranced by both the road and the snow. Lunch was had in the Applecross Inn (the best fish and chips I have had for a long time, though Francis says it is rivaled by those he had the evening before) and then we all had a wander round the bay to Applecross House for a look at the deer, the highland cows, the garden and ending in the tea shop!


After all that food, we departed from our London guests, who were heading back to Inverness for another posh meal, and made for Kishorn Boulders. It was fun! I knit, he bouldered, I bouldered, he encouraged, I got daring and fell off onto my bottom in the mud and decided that I should stick to knitting. My swallowtail enjoyed the afternoon in the sun, and I am 54% of the way there according to weight of yarn used!

No comments: