Saturday 4 August 2007

All in the finishing

Kilt making is just like knitting really - you sew and sew and then you have pleats. When the pleats are done you think you must nearly be there. But no, not anywhere near, first you have to do all the faffy finishing.

You need to sew down the pleats at the waistline...... (notice that you have to lift the back of each pleat slightly so that they dont hang down and show when it is worn)

you need to tack the pleats down at strategic places - for me that was along the white lines.


You have to line the kilt with 2 layers of lining, one thick lining (can be hessian, but I used plain cotton with interfacing ) and one that is comfortable against your husbands delicate bottom. I wouldn't want to cause bottom chafing.
You have to make belt loops and you have to make little straps to hold the buckles on. At this stage I have to admit that I was making it up as I went along, but it seems fairly secure and doesn't look that bad.
And sew on the leather straps......

And make a little fringe for the front apron.......

And then it's time for the grand trying on............


As you can see this morning there was some enforced shopping for kilt socks (there really really isn't enough time for me to make them and I don't think that I like knitting socks anyway), a pin, a sporran and a sporran chain. We are still debating whether a belt is needed, but getting husband to buy even this much has to be counted as a major victory.

All I need to do now is take it to be pressed (apparently it really is worth it, and the pleats will remain for ever if it is done properly) and then that is his outfit sorted for the wedding.

And it leaves me just a little bit of time to sort out the cardigan.


But a new project looms..... this is the harebell lace fichu from Victorian Lace Today. Now, I dont think that I am ever likely to want to wear a little lacy collar, but fundamentally the interesting and lovely lace border is just knitted on, and I reckon that it can easily be altered knitting a scarf. It might just be the perfect answer for the left over skein of lovely silk from Kerrie at Hipknits. Or maybe an excuse to get some lovely harebell blue lovelieness.......

1 comment:

Linda said...

Gosh, I don't think that I will ever make a kilt, what a lot of work! It looks good on!