Monday 6 August 2007

Ramblings

Hmmmmmm. It's one of those evenings. I am at home on my own (husband is on a work jolly, no sorry, I'm sure he is having to work very hard) and I am hiberbating. I am so jealous of all you lot way down south, I keep hearing that you are having the hottest day of the year. Well, I was on a site visit an hour north, up a hill, and it was 6C, 60mph gusts of wind, persistent drizzle interspersed with heavier rain and I got to spend a lovely couple of hours looking at the drainage on the site not working. Fan-flipping-tastic.

On the other hand it did mean that I got to call by the great second hand furniture place - and accidentally bought a little table and a cupboard. Which means that so far this evening I have been distracted by stripping paint off the table. I have done the whole top - stripped, washed, sanded a bit and waxed. It is going to look fantastic when I am done, but I have to face telling husband when he gets back.

I have been thinking about knitting a lot though and am sort of thinking about starting lots and lots of things:

Socks - a while back I had a food dye experiment (nice but not exactly what I was aiming for) and so I have 100g of sock yarn to play with. I am sort of tempted by the idea of making a pair of jaywalkers, but I know that I hate knitting with dpns. I might treat myself to a couple of pairs of addi lace turbo circulars and give that a whirl. If I don't like socks done like that then I am going to give up on the idea for a while.

Scarves/lace - I had an accident on theyarnsnob's etsy page today. I searched for laceweight yarn, saw a lovely lovely blue one that would be great for the harebell scarf, but there was another skein of slightly darker blue and a great variegated pink one which accidentally fell into my shopping basket. And I already have the hipknits silk.......

Blanket/afgan - I made a lizard ridge blanket a while back, and it was the first thing that husband ever properly appreciated.
I never get to use it (at the moment it is away at a friends house for the crochet edging application - she is far more talented at crochet then me!) so I am thinking about making one for me. I am liking the idea of a really multicoloured mitre square one, or maybe even a different kureyon one. As yet no yarn purchased, but this is definatly on the to knit list.

Christmas/birthday presents - birthday season abouds in my family in october - so knitting various things for my sister and my mum. I also have a brother, his girlfriend and their baby to make presents for. One thing I was thinking of was a felted entrelac bag made of leftover kureyon.

Jumpers - I really want to make a jumper for husband - just because all menswear is so uninspired and he deserves something warm and wooly for this winter. For me, I also have 2 jumpers worth of Rowan rowanspun soft, a basket full of 4-ply shetland wool, plenty of rowan calmer in various colours and a jumper's worth of pink silk dk weight that need stuff doing to it.

So I am just going to spend plenty of time sanding and stripping paint, see how long I can stay faithful to meagaidh and if I finish her before the wedding. No photos today - nothing really interesting (unless you are interested in photos of drains not working in a cloud on a scottish hill) and it is getting dark. The only knitting progress is that I am nearly ready to join on the second sleeve - only 20 rounds of plain to go.

1 comment:

Linda said...

I love the Lizard Ridge blanket, so colourful!