Thursday 9 August 2007

Man Jumpers

So.... I have quizzed Dr Sweetpea about making him a jumper. This is partly in an attempt to make him appreciate my knitting a bit more (the blanket was a big success in this respect) but also because I do knit things for other people so why not my husband? I saw lots of quite exiting man jumpers on the internet - I was having a little fanasty about a lovely tweedy number with loads of complicated and exiting cables - but I really didnt know what he would wear. In a moment of boredom at work I sent him a little questionnaire.

Jumper or cardigan? Cardigan

If cardigan, zip or buttons? Zip

Dark colours or bright colours? Dark

Main colour - blue, black, grey, brown, red, green - Black

Stripes or not? Bright Stripes

Position of stripes:
All over
One/2 across chest – 2 across chest
Edges

Colour of stripes? red and white

Colour patterns (like fairisle) or not? No

Plain stocking stitch or ribbed? Ribbed

Cables or not? No

Wool - thick, middling or thin? Middling

Wool - tweedy or smooth? Smooth

So it looks as though I am going to be knitting ribbed cardigan until the cows come home! Further exploration of the concept last night (including showing him some photos) indicated that he did really really want the above jumper. I might make it a bit more interesting by placing the zip assymetrically, but dont know yet. In the future he could be tempted into some nice tweedy wool, didnt mind garter stitch borders, still didnt like cables (I am going to work on this one a bit) and wouldn't mind some fairisle as long as it was really subtle and not too bright.

At least that gives me some boundaries within which to work!

2 comments:

Linda said...

Well done on knitting husband a sweater. Mine wouldn't appreciate it as he is so particular about clothes!

Flutter-by said...

Well - I havent knitted it yet and dont know if he will like it! He is also particular about clothes, but if you want to try something out then show him lots of pictures and ask him yes/no type questions.